What are Human Resources?
Wikipedia defines human resources as individuals who comprise the workforce of a business or government agency. The professional discipline and business function that oversees an organization's human resources is called human resource management
The article discusses the crucial role of human resources, Human Resources and Skills Development Canada and the basic human resource activities.
What is the Crucial Role of Human Resources?
What is the role of human resources in your enterprise? People are the most important resources in any business undertaking. It is imperative to make use of strategic planning techniques to manage human resources issues. Small businesses usually maintain less than five employees. Sometimes, the proprietors of these enterprises believe that the role of human resources is very minor. This is a mistaken notion. Even if you have only one employee, it is important to understand the concept of human resources. It is equally essential to learn how to manage human resources in your business. You will need to develop a comprehensive human resources program that utilizes strategic planning techniques in HR. Once this is done, you have to integrate those techniques and strategies into your overall business operations.
In all business undertakings, people are your most important resources and the most challenging to manage. The role of human resources in business organizations is to focus on employees. They should be trained and developed to become significant contributors to your business. Remember that your employees often have direct or indirect contact with your customers. This is a vital concern since you want to have efficient and satisfied employees who interact with your customers, suppliers and other stakeholders.
What is the Human Resources and Skills Development Canada?
Human Resources and Skills Development Canada (HRSDC) is the department of the federal government that develops policies and support programs to help Canadians, from securing a job until retirement. It is one of the biggest departments serving Canadians. The responsibilities of HRSDC include the following: Universal Child Care Benefit; National Child Benefit; Social Insurance Number program; Canada Student Loans and Grants; Employment Insurance; Canadian Pension Plan and Old Age Security.
The department's broad range of services is accessible through the Labour Program and Service Canada. The program promotes safe and healthy workplaces through the administration of the Canada Labour Code and the Employment Equity Act. Service Canada operates as the point of contact for individual citizens with online services and locations from coast-to-coast-to-coast.
Some of the reasons why HRSDC was selected as one of Canada's Top 100 Employers for 2012:
• supports employees who are new mothers with maternity and parental leave top-up payments (to 93% of salary for 52 weeks) as well as parental leave top-up payments for new fathers and adoptive parents (to 93% of salary for 37 weeks)
• employee also receive health benefits during their maternity and parental leave and can take advantage of an onsite daycare centre (with 60 spaces) when they're ready to return to work
• helps employees balance their personal life and work with a variety of alternative work arrangements, including flexible hours, telecommuting, and shortened and compressed work week options
• encourages ongoing employee development through subsidies for tuition and professional accreditation, a range of in-house and online training programs, formal mentoring and career planning services
• helps employees prepare for retirement with retirement planning workshops, phased-in retirement work options, contributions to a defined benefit pension plan, and a health benefits plan that extend into their retirement years (with no age limit)
What are basic HR activities?
The basic human resource activity of gathering detailed information about a particular job's duties, tasks and responsibilities can help organizations achieve strategic goals more efficiently and effectively. It also helps in avoiding duplication and overlapping of work and provides job descriptions by which employers can recruit and select the most competent employees.
Managers conduct regular job analysis to create effective job descriptions and utilize this information effectively. At the same time, managers are able to design jobs to keep employees motivated. It is important to ensure that workers perform at a high level and are willing to retain their jobs. This is the primary key objective - utilizing the element of human resources to achieve the organization's overall goals.
HR is Essential
There is no doubt that employers should realize the essence of human resources. You must see to it that there is a continuing human resources program in your business organization to ensure continuing success in your respective industries.